Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Weight Milestone... and what I thought of Man of Steel. Also, what I want from DC.

First order of business:

Last post I had mentioned that I have to go to the dentist due to a bad molar.  Now, I'm waiting for a call back, and fortunately my tooth has not bothering me.  However I've had to watch what i eat to cause as little pain as possible. 

That being said, I've been weighing myself here and there, and this morning I hit a major milestone....
I'm at less than 200 lbs.  New weight:  199.6 lbs.

So, Congratulations to me!

--

Man of Steel review (Caution If you've not seen it yet !!!)
This morning Frances and I saw MoS and I've got to say:   I really liked it!!!

Unlike the previous film, which was of a dialogue film versus this was more action packed.  Now, I didn't hate the former, but did find it a bit boring, lacking punch, which is what I want in a Superman film.  That's the reason why Superman Returns was like more by critics versus the audience and vice versa with this film.

Now, there's two type of people for these type of films:  the comic book community and the movie community, and I belong more to the latter than the former.  Reason being that, even though I've always been fascinated by superheroes and mythology and the sort, growing up I didn't get much of a chance of reading comic books so growing up I relied more on watching shows, cartoons and movies.  It wasn't until after high school that I would go to Borders bookstores and read graphic novels and comic book stories.  I'm the type of guy that knows a lot more than the average non-comic book reader but less than a comic book reader.  So when I watch a comic book movie I look more at what the film consists of versus what was pulled from their sources.  Same goes for movies based on novels or anything else for that matter.

First, I was very happy to see Chris Nolan's touch in this.  I think having him be part of bringing Supes back was great.  I really like his films especially the Dark Knight trilogy.

I was happy too when I found out Michael Shannon was cast as Gen. Zod.  As I watched the film, however, I think my joy for his portrayal went down a few points.  I liked his portrayal of Zod but did not love him.  However, I was pleasantly surprised by Faora, Zod's right hand.  I really liked her. 

One thing I really wanted to see:  Zod's famous line from Superman II, "Kneel before Zod!"

Now, because Nolan came on board, I wonder if they tried to copy some of what worked in Batman Begins.  One things were the flashback scenes.  They felt a bit misplaced. 
One last thing was that the movie was a bit slow moving at first.  Yet also felt that some of the scenes were rushed or suddenly cut and then... the action began and the movie's pace was much faster.

In the end, as I mentioned before, I really liked the movie.  I do think it's a wonderful way to bring Superman back to the big screen and start that new DC cinematic universe that we've been waiting for.

So what would I like now?  For one, I was glad to hear that they may work on MoS2 before finally bringing a Justice League movie.  I think DC shouldn't rush into it to be at par with Marvel.  Rushing it may just crumble what they are trying to achieve for us fans.

Second, I hear that Supergirl and Lex Luthor are coming on board for MoS2.  Supergirl as a supporting character would be better than an attempt at a solo film any time soon or later.  Also, as for Lex, I hope they reinterpret him more as a real threat versus what has been interpreted by Gene Hackman and Kevin Spacey.  And for a third film (in case it's a trilogy) I'd like to see Doomsday.  Give us the Death of Superman!!!  After all, we all know Superman comes back.

Lastly, eventually I'd like to see comic book movie crossover, so DC and Marvel, get to working at it.

No comments:

Post a Comment